April 26, 2021

FAQs on YERUN Research Mobility Awards 2021

Dear YRMAs applicants,

We have created this Frequently Asked Questions section to help you get information while applying to the YRMA grant scheme. The section will be constantly updated.

  • I would like to apply for a collaboration with a researcher from another YERUN university. Can we both apply for the financial aid for a better organisation of the joint activities (1000 euros each)? –> If the collaboration project is the same one for both of you, then you should submit only one application, whereby one is the official applicant (home institution) and the other is indicated as host institution. This is because the scheme does not foresee double funding for the exact same project. Different would be if you and your colleague submit two independent applications, tackling two different aspects of the project. However, please note that this is no guarantee that both applications will automatically get the grant.


  • The call states that we receive directly the 1000 euros transfer without the need to justify (with the respective invoices) how the money is spent. Are we personally responsible to manage the payments, withholding taxes, etc? Do we receive some help to manage all this from our respective universities? –> Usually the grant is sent automatically to the grantee’s bank account, with no intermediation of the home university. You will have to count it as any other source of revenue in your yearly tax declaration. However, should this be a problem for you, do let us know and we can explore alternative solutions.


  • Is there any possibility to extend the deadline of the collaboration? –> It is important that the collaboration is initiated and carried out as much as possible in 2021, but we are flexible with regard to its completion as long as you are still enrolled at your host institution by the time you submit the final report. In any case, the report submission should not exceed the first half of 2022. 


  • In the case of a publication, should it be published in Open Access? Are the 1000 euros also to cover the open access fee? –> Yes, if you want to use the award for a publication, this must be necessarily in an OA (not hybrid) journal. In this case you can cover the OA publication fees with the grant. 


  • As the award is virtual, does it mean that each university will perform their corresponding tasks according to the project, having virtual meetings? –> Yes! 


  • Are lecturers on permanent contracts eligible to apply? –> In terms of applicant’s profile, the criterion we look at is whether they are R1 or R2 level, so any applicant belonging to this category can apply regardless of the type of contract they are on at the time of applying. As we are aware that the characteristics of these categories tend to vary from country to country, we encourage you to carefully look at the description of R1 and R2 provided on the EURAXESS portal in order to identify the category you belong to.


  • In the case of career breaks due to maternity or illness, can the 8 years eligibility window since the completion of the PhD be extended?  –> In case of career breaks due to maternity or illness, the same rules of the ERC are applied. This means that in the case of career breaks due to maternity, the applicant’s track record can be extended by 18 months for each child born before or during the last ten years. In the case of career breaks due to illness, the time extension allowed is the same of the actual career break, as long as this can be traced by medical records. To this end, the information needs to be confirmed and backed up by your home institution.


Any other questions? Please get in touch with Chiara Colella from the YERUN Office (chiara.colella@yerun.eu)

Related News